Avoid staff fatigue and poor performance.
There have been countless studies that link many elements of poor performance with fatigue.
Fatigue increases the likelihood of errors and adversely affects performance (HSE booklet HSG256, Managing shift work – health and safety guidance) especially in tasks requiring vigilance and monitoring, decision making, awareness, fast reaction time, tracking ability and memory.
Fatigue can be hard to detect in staff –unlike other causes of temporary mental impairment such as drugs and alcohol.
Fatigued staff often don’t adequately perceive risk, and may tolerate risks they would usually find unacceptable, leading to lower standards of performance and safety. Fatigue can be hard to detect in staff –unlike other causes of temporary mental impairment such as drugs and alcohol, there is no “blood test” for fatigue. These features make fatigue a particular concern in any safety critical work.
- Reduce absence and enable better work life balance with staff friendly rosters
- Manage intra-day, weekly and season peaks and troughs
- Tangible evidence of staff satisfaction that supports union negotiations
- Reduce overtime and downtime by ensuring appropriate staffing levels at all times
- Protect corporate reputation and provide quality services with effective staff levels
- Avoid compensation claims and costly penalties by meeting contractual deadlines
While the causes of fatigue can include many lifestyle elements, over which an employer has little control, there are also work related factors. These include timing of working and resting periods, length and number of consecutive work duties, intensity of work demands.
Imperago Workforce Design provides workable staff shift and rota patterns that will ensure that staff get sufficient breaks during the day, and have enough time off between work to recover, ensuring that they are fully refreshed with they return to work.